Do you ever get that bee in your bonnet about an idea. Like when something pops into into your head and then it all you can think off. I do - mainly when it comes to stuff in the kitchen. My brain makes these connections and then bam that's all I think off. In the past I may not have always acted on these little light bulb moments - I don't have time, we don't need the food, its pointless, I will fail. I'm trying to be positive and proactive. My cooking and experimenting more in the kitchen means I am improving my thought process, my skills and no one says just because the I cook it means we have to eat it. I take things into work, or hubby does or I send food parcels to my parents.
This is one of those experimented nagging moments. Before Christmas we got sent a degustabox (if you check out the site you can get a box for £6.00 by using the code BLDEG15) - it was full of yummy things to try like cider, spice mixes, jelly and this bag of Salted Caramel Butterkist Popcorn. It had been in the cupboard of treats since we got it delivered. Everytime I opened the cupboard to get the boys a little snack I saw the bag sitting there, and I was good I avoided it, but it kept taunting me. Now something you need to know about me - I adore salted caramel, but it needs to have the correct level of salt - don't say something is salted caramel when in fact its just caramel **shakes head** Now rather than snaffle the whole bag in one go, my little nagging thought was to combine these with a brownie batter.
I used the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook - the first one, its a well used baking book in this house and this brownie recipe is a good all rounder, and a quick throw together from stuff in the cupboards. As well as using up the bag of popcorn, I also managed to use up some white chocolate coins leftover from Christmas - hows that for use your leftovers!? The best kind!
- 200 g dark chocolate (roughly chopped) - I only had 100g of dark, so added a 100g of milk. The flavour is milder than using all dark.
- 175 g unsalted butter
- 325 g caster sugar
- 130 g plain flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 bag of white chocolate coins
- 2/3 of the bag of popcorn.
- icing sugar, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/gas mark 3
- Put the chocolate and butter in the microwave at 30 sec intervals. When the chocolate is still in little bits remove from microwave and stir through until fully melted.
- Remove from the heat. Add the sugar and stir until well incorporated. Add the flour and stir until well incorporated. Finally, stir in the eggs and mix until thick and smooth.
- Once these are all combined stir though the white chocolate and the popcorn.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking tray, and bake in the preheated oven for about 40 to 55 minutes, or until flaky on the top but still soft in the centre.
Mine were not a complete success and the middle was still sticky after being in the oven for nearly an hour - I called it quits at that point took them out. Which did mean I was doing the only respectable thing for it and ate the middle part of the brownie straight from the pan, which a spoon. While the kids ate their dinner at the table - that a parenting win right there.
These would of been epic spooned into sundae glasses and piled with ice cream, caramel sauce and chocolate buttons on top. You know for that diet friendly dessert.